Climate Action Advisor, Nepal
DCA Nepal is looking for highly competent, experienced and motivated candidate for the position of Climate Action Advisor (CAA) who can play both a technical and an advisory role in moving forward DCA’s commitment towards contributing to a greener and cleaner environment through contribution to sustainable production and consumptions, climate-friendly policies, and economic interventions that has grown much stronger and will be reflected in the next five-year country strategy (2022-2026).
The climate change is a cross-cutting theme within DCA, and that cooperation and experience sharing within DCA as international NGO is foreseen
As the CAA, you will lead the strategic and technical development of DCA’s climate action programming (adaptation, mitigation, and loss and damage) and contributes for its meaningful mainstreaming into all 3 thematic pillars and projects: Resilient Livelihood, DRR/Humanitarian Response and Active Citizenship. You will engage in national level climate action advocacy efforts and forums within DCA Nepal’s climate change policy framework and strategy.
Your main responsibilities
- Lead the climate component of DCA and contribute for the meaningful mainstreaming into all the thematic pillars of DCA: Resilient Livelihood, DRR/Humanitarian Response and Active Citizenship;
- Provide technical leadershipand organisation support in the management of projects with climate focus;
- Play lead role in implementing DCA’s international climate policy, and developing country specific climate strategies;
- Represent DCA in national climate change dialogues and forums, and DCA’s Climate Community of Practice;
- Engage in national level climate action advocacy efforts, and forums within DCA Nepal’s climate change policy framework and strategy;
- Prepare and adapt inputs to policy briefs/position papers that address links between climate change and other development concerns, mainly within the governance, poverty reduction, gender, crisis preparedness and recovery, and capacity development, etc. themes;
- Strengthen partnerships with key climate actors in Nepal particularly government, donors, private sector for resource generation, leveraging and management;
- Contribute to the development of capacity building tools and activities related to climate change, especially on adaptation and mitigation;
- Explore opportunities and develop proposals with strong climate actions at community, local and national level;
- Initiate and coordinate climate change and clean energy related research and documentation and sharing results;
- Provide relevant documents, content to Communication Specialist and work closely to produce communications materials/ testimonies, case studies that are particularly focusing on Climate Action impacts and learning; suitable for fundraisings and for use on our websites and social media.
What you bring
- Master’s degree in Climate Science, Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Forestry, Agriculture or any other relevant field
- A minimum of five years of experience preferably with I/NGOs, academia, research institutions focusing on climate actions (mitigation, adaptation, policy advocacy, among others)
- Experience in working with government, donors, private sectors and other stake holders is an asset
- Good understanding and demonstrated knowledge of the national level policies, frameworks, and national level legislations on climate change
- Knowledge and understanding of global debate on climate change
- Demonstrated excellent written and spoken English
- Good command over report writing in English
- Good analytical and research skills
- Demonstrated skill on writing proposals focused on climate change; Scientific publications as an author/co-author will be an added advantage
- Critical thinker and ability to engage in and contribute to higher-level policy discussions on climate actions with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent computer knowledge with command on MS software packages
- Self-motivation, creativity and an ability to perform without close supervision
What we offer
- A one-year contract with possibility of extension
- A very competitive salary and benefits package
- 4 weeks of paid vacation leave
- Comprehensive health insurance plan
- Learning and development opportunities
- An opportunity to make a difference and improve the lives of communities DCA is working with in Nepal
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Qualified and interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, religion or ethnic affiliation are encouraged to apply for this vacancy.
Only applications consisting of the below will be considered:
- Cover Letter (max 1 page),
- CV (max 3 pages), and
- Answers provided to the online-application questions
To apply please upload a cover letter and CV using the following link:
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for application will be Thursday, 8th April 2021
DCA conducts an anti-terror check as part of the recruitment process. It is a prerequisite that you can pass this check and maintain this status throughout your employment with us.
Everyone applying for a job with DCA must be ready to comply with our Staff Policy on Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Harassment and our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Telephone inquiry will not be entertained